Grander earth has quaked before Moved by the sound of His voice Seas that are shaken and stirred Can be calmed and broken for my regard
This is one of the first real experiences with death of a close family member that I've had, and I'm sad. I'm sad that I won't get to see her ever again. I'm sad that I can't be there to comfort my Mom & my aunt right now. I'm sad that I didn't get to say goodbye.
Far be it from me to not believe
Even when my eyes can’t see
And this mountain that’s in front of me
Will be thrown into the midst of the sea
And yet, it's silly to be sad. My grandma lived a long and happy life, in spite of some really difficult and traumatic experiences throughout. She liked to be the center of attention, which could be annoying at best and infuriating at worst sometimes. But she also loved to give gifts, and she loved to see the joy that her gifts brought others. She loved her family, and we loved her. She loved Jesus, and He finally brought her home to Him like she's been asking Him to. She wasn't in any pain. She didn't suffer. It was as peaceful as any of us could ever hope to go.
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
And it is well with me
Sometimes it's easy for me to forget how fleeting this life really is. That's always the way, isn't it? We don't realize how fragile life is until it's threatened, or it's gone. And we know that death is a celebration of life and of going Home...but it's also important to mourn, and the tension of trying to do both is overwhelming to me. I feel a wrestling in my soul between sorrow and joy, and I feel like I have to get it figured out.
But it isn't that simple. The only one who has it all figured out is God, and if the God who parted the Red Sea and calmed the storms and gave up His life for me has a plan, I can be content in that. I can be at peace knowing that it's okay to be sad that she's gone, and it's okay to be happy that she's finally in the presence of God where she's wanted to be for so long. It's okay to miss her. And that's enough for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment