Yes, I may be an addict. No, I don't care.
This show was in Wichita Falls, TX. Isaac & I drove the 4 hours there & arrived at the venue at about 4:30. No one was out front, so we tried the front doors...locked. Someone opened up for us & I asked if Scottyrock or Judy were around. He let us in & walked us to the back, but neither of them were around so we decided to just wait. After awhile I called Scotty & he said he'd call me right back. He's really bad at returning calls, & it was about 5:30 (doors opened at 6), so I called him again & asked if they needed any help with anything, since we were just sitting around being useless. He goes, "Um...I don't know. I'll meet you in the lobby." So we waited...& waited...& waited. Usually Scotty's pretty prompt, so about 5:45 it's an understatement to say that I was wondering what was going on. Around then Judy showed up & asked if we were part of the meet & greet. I told her I had no idea, & she said she'd radio Scotty if he didn't come up soon. Finally Scotty showed up, chatted with us about random stuff for a second, & then said, "Hang tight I'll be back." He walked across the room & up behind Judy, hiding a roll of Caution tape behind his back. He wrapped her entirely in the tape, then casually walked back over to us & said, "You guys wanna go back?" Like he even has to ask.
He took us back to his "office" while he finished up putting together prescriptions for everyone on the tour who's sick (there were alot of drugs on that desk, haha), & asked if we had eaten. Isaac had been saying he was hungry, so Scotty took us back to the catering room where all the guys of Disciple were having dinner, & said, "You guys go ahead & have whatever you like, relax, enjoy your dinner. I'll be back. Oh, I haven't asked Korey about an interview yet, but I will. And you guys can head back to the auditorium anytime too, there's nothing going on in there now, but you're welcome to go back if you like." And he left. And aside from eating, we really had no idea if we were supposed to stay there & wait for him, or go back up front. Isaac had just finished eating & we were debating what we should do when Korey walked in & said, "So I hear I'm doing an interview!"
She was so great. After the interview we chatted a bit about LLSOW, & then we heard Decyfer Down starting their set in the auditorium. She said she had to go get ready for the show, so we made our way back out to find seats. Between DD & Disciple's sets, I saw Scotty come out on stage & start peering into the crowd. He looked around for a minute or two & then went backstage. My phone started ringing in my pocket...it was Scottyrock. When I answered, he said, "Where are you?? I was looking for you but didn't see you in the auditorium...meet me at the right side of the stage, John wants to see you." John. As in John Cooper. The lead singer. Wanted to see us? As Scotty was taking us backstage for the second time, he said, "John heard you were asking about the new album so he thought you might want to hear some of it." It took just about every ounce of self-control I possess not to completely freak out right then & there. I did my best to stay cool as he opened the door to Skillet's dressing room & John was in there waiting for US. We said our hellos, & John said, "So, I heard you were talking to Korey about the new album...you've obviously heard Hero & Monster already, but I figured maybe you'd want to hear some of the others so you can go back to Panheads & the forums & tell everyone how amazing it sounds!!" And so he let us listen to about 10 of the 13 songs off the new album. The album that doesn't come out until August. The album that NO ONE outside of the band & management has heard. Right after we started listening Disciple started their set. "It's too bad you can't hear it better, hey?" John said, "Hey Scotty, can you tell them to stop the show for a minute? We've got important things going on here." Scotty pretended to pull out his radio & said, "Hey hold the show for about 30 minutes please, you're too loud." Ha. Korey came in about halfway through & said, "Yeeeeaaaaaah, pullin out the new music! We're not allowed to let anyone listen to it. John has to choose who hears it, & he has to be present when it happens." John added, "Yeah, the other bands on this tour haven't even heard it!" After he finished giving us demos, he said, "So...what do you think?" He actually wanted our opinions! Of course we both only had good things to say.
We chatted with John & Korey & Scotty a bit more about the new music & the fall tour before heading back out to our seats. The show was awesome, as always. John seemed in an especially good mood & had a few more jokes than usual. I like to think it was because his new music was so well-received by such dedicated fans. Haha.
After the show we went to the merch table & helped Judy take inventory, tear down & load in. She is just the sweetest. I'm so sad that she won't be on the road after this tour wraps, but I'm going to go visit her in Chicago after she has the baby. It's only like an hour from Kenosha, so that will be fun.
But, I have to say this was probably most definitely the best show of all the ones I've been to so far this year. Listening to your favorite band's unreleased album before anyone else pretty much tops all. Ha.
No comments:
Post a Comment