Friday, October 1, 2010

Following Hard After God.

If to distant lands I scatter
If I sail to farthest seas
Would you find and firm and gather 'til I only dwell in Thee?
If I flee from greenest pastures
Would you leave to look for me?
Forfeit glory to come after
'Til I only dwell in Thee

If my heart has one ambition
If my soul one goal to seek
This my solitary vision 'til I only dwell in Thee
That I only dwell in Thee
'Til I only dwell in Thee

I've been reading Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer again for the Skillet Book Club. As always when I read this book, I'm so overwhelmed by God's love for me. I'm just SO incredibly thankful for the ways He's blessed me. And I wonder why I ever don't trust Him. My one desire is to be completely satisfied in Him. Not in anything else of the world, or even anyONE else. I want so much to please Him. I love the simplicity of the song lyrics at the beginning of this post. All it takes to please Him is the desire to do so, the hunger for His voice & His manifest presence.

I was reading over the prophetic word that I posted here a little while back. It was a word that Karen brought to the church about a month ago, & at the time she brought it, it resonated with me pretty deeply (which is why I posted it here). But after reading it again last night, I realize how directly it actually is for me. I know that my calling is to serve. I know that it will be hard, & that sometimes it will hurt. But it is my pleasure to lay down my life for others, even when I don't get anything in return, even when I'm not appreciated or hurt in the end. It is my pleasure to do it because I know that it pleases Him. I know that it will strengthen my faith & it will be satisfying to serve.

I know that I can trust in God, & I can pursue Him with my whole heart now. Even in the midst of pain & confusion, I can honestly say that my greatest desire is to do what pleases the Lord, no matter what the cost. And I am satisfied in that.

No comments: