My Mom used to constantly worry about this little detail though. She used to think it was going to mean I would be a rebellious teenager, or that I would date the druggies & the dropouts & get myself into trouble. I never really could figure out why I always favor the villain in movies...it didn't concern me much. But I had a revelation today.
I was watching the Criminal Minds season premiere, & they were hunting a serial killer, as always. This particular guy...suffice it to say he was especially creepy. But there was a moment, towards the end of the episode, where he said, "Do you think there's a heaven? And if there is...do you think that I will get to see my mother there? I would really like that." And there was like an emotion switch in my mind that just suddenly EMPATHIZED with this guy...this fictional character who killed hundreds of fictional people. My first thought was, "How strange..." But as I thought it over, it actually made sense. All my life, I've attracted the rejects. The unpopular people. The people that are made fun of. The people that no one likes, because no one has really taken a chance to get to know them. But I get to know them. And I see who they really are. And I see things about them that they don't even see themselves.
I see potential.
I see the qualities in them that they aren't aware that they have, & I spend time with them...talking, listening, observing. They open up to me, & I get glimpses of who they really are under all of the misconceptions that others have given them about themselves. I see them as God sees them, & I get to know them better than they know themselves.
Inevitably, there comes a time when I can't bear to see them weighted down by the opinions of the world, & I want to help draw them out of the shell, to help them see themselves as I see them, & to realize their full potential. And because I know them better than they know themselves in the most intimate of ways, I begin to push. Gently, at first, helping them to see what I see. They catch glimpses of it, but they've been too hurt by others to truly believe it. Most times they shut down...so I push harder. I know how far to push, & when to stop. I know what they can handle better than they themselves know, because they're the ones that have actually told me, in their own ways. I never push to change - I push to reveal what's already there inside, buried under the surface.
Some get overwhelmed & don't want to see. They back off, & though the friendship remains, it's standoffish & uncomfortable...on their end anyway. Some see who they are, & they begin to move forward. Some like the idea, but they just don't listen, & I can only repeat myself so many times.
Some get scared. They see that I know them in such an intimate way, & they leave. They've never been close to anyone, & the thought of me knowing things about them, such deep & personal things...it's too much.
So after all the time that's been invested, I'm the one who ends up hurt at the end when they go.
The same is true in my relationships. I wish I could be attracted to one of the strong single men in the church, but it just isn't the case. I need to be a supporter. I need to be an encourager. I need someone that I can come alongside...not to lead, but to stand in the wings & reassure them of the truths they forget about themselves.
See, I identified with Scar. With the Beast. With the serial killer. All of them were misunderstood by those around them, because they were told that they were something untrue. Useless. Ugly. Unimportant. They believed these lies, & their anger turned them into "the bad guys." But they didn't have to be the bad guys. They just didn't see themselves the right way. They couldn't see the truth of who they really were buried under the lies. No one took the time to show them that they don't have to be "the bad guy." So when others say, "Why can't you be someone better?" I say, "I love you just the way you are...but I love you too much to let you continue believing these lies about yourself."
It takes the Beauty to show the Beast who he really is. And that's all I ever wanted to be.
But I guess the ending isn't like a Disney movie, is it? Because if it were...I wouldn't be alone.
So when they leave, I think of them often...& hope that they can someday see what I see. And hope that they know that no matter what the circumstances, or how much time passes, I'm still right beside them, supporting them every step of the way.
Even though they left me, I never left them...& I never gave up.
1 comment:
I identified with Scar. With the Beast. With the serial killer. All of them were misunderstood by those around them, because they were told that they were something untrue. Useless. Ugly. Unimportant.
ahh yeah.
fairytales are nice to dream about aren't they? bit of warning, don't go see 'easy a' cuz while it's a good movie, it's a total chick flick. just so ya know.
Post a Comment