Friday, July 17, 2009

"Rain Is A Bad Reminder Of Everything I Don't Wanna Know."

I've been listening to the Learning To Breathe album by Switchfoot tonight.

I remember the last show I went to. They didn't play Chem 6A. I was with my best friend Aaron, & I knew it would be the last show we both went to. Their album Nothing Is Sound came out not long after. I listened to it once or twice, it wasn't good...Aaron started dating one of my friends & never hung out with me anymore. I stopped listening to Switchfoot all together. That was 4 years ago.

Thinking about this tonight has made me realize that I've got my mind carefully compartmentalized. I have all of my memories in separate little boxes in my mind. There are the memories that I share with anyone...memories that I only share with a select few people...memories only for me...& memories that even I am not allowed access to. Each box has a carefully constructed wall protecting it, but there are triggers that cause the walls to fall sometimes. It's pretty easy to get to the first two boxes, I offer them pretty freely. The other two...even I don't know what triggers those. Every now & then I discover a new one, & allow myself to remember. Then I tuck the trigger into the memory box.

I think tonight I will listen to Switchfoot's first 4 albums. And then I think they will go into the last box, never to be listened to in the same way again. Goodbye Switchfoot. Thanks for everything.

No comments: